Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Monday, March 6, 2017

ScopeDome: ALERT!!!

This is an alert for anyone who has or is thinking of purchasing a ScopeDome.


The problem started with the 8A fuse on the main controller board blowing. The fuse was replaced and then it blew again after several rotations of the dome. The 220VAC power supply also sparked and smoked. If I had not been in the dome at the time, there could have been a fire.



I suspected that the brown and white wires were shorting. I was correct. I removed the covers and exposed the rollers and wiring. I was “horrified” at what I discovered.




















The metal plate that the rollers ride against had completely worn through. A piece of the metal plate (brown wire) was touching a metal post (white wire) and shorting together. EEK!!! I managed to cut and break off the existing metal plate where it had worn through.







I sent the photos to ScopeDome. I already knew what the response would be. I was blamed for adjusting the rollers improperly. I adjusted the rollers  to remain in contact with the metal strip, but still allowing easy movement of the dome with one hand. Obviously, that was not the correct way to adjust the rollers. So, what is the correct way?

I was told that ScopeDome has 40 domes of this model around the world and they have never seen anything like this. If that were correct, one in forty is not very reliable for a product of this type. The dome is less than a year old.

I was told that ScopeDome would replace the thin metal strip, but I would have to pay the shipping costs or have one machined in Japan. The problem with that is that the nuts that secure the bolts holding the metal strip are inaccessible. ScopeDome suggested that I cut holes in the fiberglass ring cover to remove the metal strip. That's ridiculous! Not only would that look awful, it would create way for water to enter the dome.

The metal strip should have been secured with bolts and nut plates instead of nuts. I also suggested that ScopeDome make a roller that uses spring tension that rides on top of the metal strip instead of gouging it. That way a customer can not misadjust the roller. ScopeDome responded :

“We realize that the dome is not a perfect construction but it is compromise between functionality and production costs.”

Currently, I have a dome that does not work, and a bad power supply. I do not see a solution except to disassemble the entire dome and start from scratch. This would also require that the telescope and all of the electronics be dismantled.
Please take this into consideration before purchasing a ScopeDome. If something goes seriously wrong, you are in trouble. Poland is a long way from Japan, and ScopeDome was very quick to point that out to me when I asked for help. 

I'll update when the situation changes...hopefully for the better.    George




No comments:

Post a Comment